The Society celebrated the installment of a new marker noting the historic significance of the textile mills of Clark Mills, with a dedication and unveiling on Sunday October 1st. A reception was held, following the dedication, at the Kirkland Senior Citizen / CMHS Center.
The marker reads: “Clark Mills. Cotton mills founded ca. 1845 by Ralph, Ammi and Eneas Clark. Became Hind & Harrison Plush Co. in 1891. Closed 1949.”
Thank you to Town of Kirkland historian Richard Williams for his extensive research and work done to complete the application process necessary to obtain the marker,
The marker was provided by the William G. Pomeroy Foundation’s Historic Roadside Marker Program for the preservation of local history.
The Society would also like to thank Shirley Hooson, CMHS historian for the assistance that she provided in the application process and Anne Peach Lynch, owner of Rofin for allowing the Society to have the marker placed at their site, one of only three remaining building that were part of the original complex of mill buildings.
In addition, we would like to thank the Town of Kirkland Highway Department for installation of the marker.











